Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Recipe- Meatloaf

Once in a while I'd like to post something other than PSA's, follow-me's, and disgusting bat stories.  How about a recipe?!?!  My husband and I love meatloaf.  I use a similar recipe to my moms with just a few small changes.  It's really simple and comes out fabulous, if I do say so myself :)

Before I get to the meatloaf I'd like to include a picture of Dominic squirting himself with a water bottle (this is what he was doing while I was cooking).  Reason being- I don't want a big bowl of ground beef to be diplayed as this post's picture on everyone's Dashboard.  Ba ha ha.


Now on to the food. 

You'll need:
-1.5 lbs ground beef
-1/2 of a green pepper, diced
-1/2 of a yellow onion, diced
-1/2 cup of Italian bread crumbs
- 2 Eggs
-Black pepper
-Red Pepper Flake
-Seasoned Salt
-Garlic Powder
-Parsley
-1 can of tomato sauce

*I actually like to prepare the meatloaf the night before so that when I come home from work I can just pop it in the oven, but for the sake of this recipe I'm going to pretend I did it all in one sitting.*

Step 1: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  In a medium mixing bowl place 1.5 lbs ground beef


Step 2: Dice 1/2 of a green pepper AND 1/2 of a yellow onion




Step 3: Add green pepper, onion, 1/2 cup of Italian bread crumbs, and seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley) to taste.  Then add eggs.




Step 4: This is the messy part.  There's no way around it- you've got to get in there with your hands and mash it all together.  Really make sure you mix it well!


Step 5: Shape the giant meatball into a 'loaf', place in a casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. *This is where I would STOP and refrigerate overnight IF I was making this for the next day's dinner*  Cover with aluminum foil and place in preheated oven, bake for 30 minutes.


Step 6: Remove from oven, pour entire can of tomato sauce over the meatloaf.  Bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes.


Step 7: Slice, use tomato sauce as a gravy, and Enjoy!



Yum!

4 comments:

  1. nom! but you have to remove those corns from atop the mashed potatoes! no mixing fooooods! ;) i might be trying the tomato sauce next time, i usually 'glaze' (and by glaze, i mean COVER) mine in ketchup ;] but our recipes are pretty similar! did dominic like it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I will so be using this recipe!!! We never have meatloaf because I never knew how to make it. Hehe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine is very close to this except I use groud turkey & panko bread crumbs (plus I use different seasonings everytime I cook it lol)


    I have made another good one to with different veggies & like a bbq glaze, it was really good but I can't figure out how I made the glaze =(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh and Kaley you can mix mashed potatoes with tons of stuff =) Corn & apple sauce are my favs !!

    ReplyDelete

Instagram @jesscarbone