Saturday, August 7, 2010

#76- Make ice cream from scratch

When I originally put #76 on my Day Zero project list I thought it would be much further off... because I don't have an ice cream maker.  However, I stumbled upon this post over at Kevin and Amanda.  It's a recipe for homemade ice cream that doesn't require a maker.  I'm all over that! 

I can't very well tell you that I made homemade ice cream that was super easy without giving you my recipe, can I?  This came out well.  It's not really like 'traditional' ice cream- it's super rich and thick.  It also probably has about a million calories per scoop so because of those reasons you really can't eat much in one sitting.  I actually thought that it made a really good milkshake when smashed together with milk.

I used:
- 1 pint of heavy whipping cream
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- mix-in: Hersey's Syrup



That's it! (I DO realize that there's a jar of fluff in this picture... I was going to use it but when I opened it there wasn't nearly as much left as I thought, so I just left it out all together)

Step 1: Whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form

Step 2: In a small bowl, mix the sweetened condensed milk and the vanilla

Step 3: Pour milk mixture into whipped cream.  Add the mix-in (Hersey's Syrup) now.  Fold mixture together.


Step 4: Place mixture into a sealed container and freeze overnight.  Enjoy!
(this picture was taken after only 3 hours in the freezer... someone was a little anxious to get to their ice cream)

Yum!

2 comments:

  1. YUM- thanks for sharing !! I will do this with the girls one day, I have always wanted to make ice cream but never wanted buy a maker since it wouldn't get used but once probably.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this looks absolutely divine. Gonna have to make it for my boys, stat.

    I'm your new follower!

    Alita

    ReplyDelete

Instagram @jesscarbone