Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Farmer's Market

I'm not sure why I haven't been a regular shopper at one of our many local Farmer's Markets.  A big reason is that I rarely carry cash... and it just seemed more convenient to buy our produce at the grocery store when we're buying packaged foods.  Whatever my holdup was- it's over.  Hub and I had already stopped buying our meat at the grocery store, in favor of the local butchery.  We've seen significant savings buying in bulk, separating, and freezing our meats ourselves.

Last weekend, after Domininc's weekly MyGym class, I met up with my mother and sister for lunch.  After we ate, we stopped by a market that sets up each Saturday in a large parking lot right in the middle of our town.  I really had no idea what I was missing.  Not only did I get a huge bag of vegetables that were probably picked just a couple hours prior, but I saved a significant amount of money.  My bag of vegetables?  Five dollars.  Using the weekly produce ad from our normal grocery store, I figured I spent about half of what I would have- all while promoting local farmers.

*some of my veggies!*

OH, and there weren't just foods there... there were bath products.  A meal and a spa day, who knew?  There was a local vendor selling homemade natural salt scrubs, soaps, and body butters.  I bought a gift bag trio set in "Summer Blackberry" scent.  The cost?  Eight dollars.  Eight.  I swear when I was just in Florida I pondered over a set like this in a fancy store that was cost three times as much.  This set has NO chemicals, just things like olive oil, sea salt, blackberry seed, and shea butter.  It is wonderful.


So from now on that's where I'll be.  Every Saturday morning... buying my vegetables for the week.

5 comments:

  1. I do the same thing every week-end- it really saves =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and this girl will be going with you after our mygym class!
    i've been wanting to try that one out - marketplace right? i also want to go to the one by bostons on friday nights!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessi, You inspire me to do all sorts of things!

    Your veges look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been itching to go all summer just never get around to it! Do you do Nick's for meat? That's what we do, mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Farmer's Market...and our CSA!

    Thanks for visiting my blog...I'm now a follower of yours as well!

    ReplyDelete

Instagram @jesscarbone