Thursday, August 26, 2010

Recipe- Choc Chip Banana Muffins

The absolute best thing to make with over-ripe bananas!  If you've read my About Me you might remember that I'm actually allergic to bananas.  When I was little, my banana allergy was just as bad as my peanut allergy.  But, thankfully, my tolerance has increased as I've gotten older (as is common with allergies to fruits).  Within the last couple years I've discovered that I can eat bananas when cooked in foods.  I still can't just eat a whole raw banana for breakfast or anything, but I don't have a problem handling them.  It wasn't long after discovering this that I came across a recipe for Chocolate Chip Banana Loaf.  I ended up tweaking it just slightly and also altering the recipe to make muffins instead of loaf.  I like the muffin variation better because they travel better and are already portioned out into single servings.  This recipe is SO simple.  You won't believe how easy it is to make!

So when our bananas look like this:

I make muffins so delicious I'm willing to risk death (just kidding- hives)..

You'll need:
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mash bananas and beat eggs in two separate bowls. 


Step 2: In a medium mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.  Then add oil, beaten eggs, and mashed bananas.  Mix just until blended.

Step 3: Gently fold in the mini chocolate chips.  Do not overmix!

Step 4: Using a 1/2 cup measuring scoop, pour batter into a muffin tin that had been lined with cups and sprayed lightly with cooking spray.  Bake for 30 minutes.

Step 5: Enjoy!

You may have noticed that this recipe makes 14 muffins.  I use one full (dozen) tin and a half tin.  Because the muffins in the half tin cook just a tad quicker, I ususally remove them from the oven after about 26 minutes.  If you would prefer a plain banana muffin, the mini chocolate chips may be omitted.  In fact, because Dominic does not like chocolate (I know.. odd) I actually pour two muffins before adding the chips to my batter.  You can see from the picture in Step 4 that the two muffins in the half tin are chip-less.

These muffins are so good and super easy to make.  They have so much real flavor and can be made from scratch at home without the preservatives or artificial flavors found in boxed mixes.

3 comments:

  1. Following from Welcome Wednesday...would love to have you follow me back.
    http://funfritzfamily.blogspot.com/2010/08/goodmemoriescafe-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look yummy! My kids are addicted to bananas, and what kid doesn't like chocolate? lol Happy to be your newest follower from Welcome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) - those bananas are NOT overripe. i should show you the ones i used ... they were BLACK! BAHAHA!!!
    2) - YUM YUM and YUM!
    3) - tagged you in my latest post!

    ReplyDelete

Instagram @jesscarbone