Friday, December 3, 2010

the time I dropped my kid

Or something like that.  I may not have dropped him, but I guarantee you 9 out of 10 people in the hair salon thought I did. 

So I've been growing Dominic's hair out.  I like it long but it was starting to get a little out of control around the edges.  The goal is to have his hair nearly even in length, so we have to trim the bottom to let the top catch up.  All of this is beside the point.  He hadn't had a haircut in a long time.  He won't let me near him with scissors so I made him an appointment at the salon I get my hair done. 

Let's just say I owed my poor stylist a good tip.  He didn't scream, he didn't cry, he just found it amusing to wiggle his head around every time we'd ask him to hold still. Yep.  Little huss.  I'll give it to him, it was funny.  In fact, most everyone in the place had to come by and watch him to get their laughs in.  We rounded out the haircut about 40 minutes after his appointment time.  The fun didn't stop there.

I pay, get out to the car, go to lift him up into his seat, and realize that he's holding onto a little toy from the salon's waiting area.  Thief.  So as much as I wanted to say to hell with it... I'm supposed to be teaching him right from wrong.  At least that's what I read in all of the books.  Ugh.  So back in we go to return the toy that does not belong to us, when sh*t hits the fan.

I had to pry the toy out of his hand.  And seriously, you would have thought the kid had no toys at home.  In fact, I can guarantee you that if the same exact toy were to be in his toy box right now he would have nothing to do with it.  But of course, he turned two yesterday.  So I was about to get what was coming to me.  Cue the hysterics.

Toy is returned to the box (we're drawing a crowd now) and I go to pick him up, because it's clear to me that he has no intention of making it to the car on his own free will.  Just at the instant I almost had my arms around him, he does one of those dreaded backwards flails.  Clunk.  That's the sound of his head (luckily padded by a warm hat and the hood to his puffy coat) hitting the hardwood.  Aaaaaand now the crowd has doubled in size.  Great.  So he's not really that hurt, but the people who are now gravitating towards us don't know that what he's really wailing about is the toy.  I could not get out of there soon enough.

So that's the story of how I dropped my kid and now have to find a new place to get my hair done.  Fabulous.

4 comments:

  1. Great Story...I am sure all of us moms will experience this at one time or another...Aiden hates the grocery cart so I push it halfway across the store and hide in an aisle bc the first 30 seconds in the cart he cries and I don't want anyone staring at me haha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHA! oh.my.god! and on his birthday! mother of the year ;] hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh lawds that was probably a big scene haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stop by Hoity Toity BABY to enter to win a $50 gift code to use on anything in the Tiny Prints online store!

    ReplyDelete

Instagram @jesscarbone