Wednesday, February 9, 2011

the battle we're winning

As I was catching up on my blog reading recently, I came across this post by Emma @ toddler awesome.  I was really impressed by her two year-old's diet!  We might not quite be to the point where Dominic is eating things like fish, baked beans, and cottage pie, but we've come a long way with his eating in the past year.  And so, I've been inspired to take you through his typical diet.  Perhaps you'll read this post and think it's not so bad, maybe you'll be relieved to find that you aren't the only parent stirring mac and cheese as opposed to whipping up a gourmet meal on a tuesday afternoon.  Whatever your reaction, I'd love to see what some of you feed your toddlers!  If you can to join in, please leave me a comment linking your post.  I'd love to read it.  So without further delay, here is my totally honest post in which I tell you what my toddler is really eating.


Typically we're picking one option from each category during breakfast, two items during lunch and afternoon snack, and two or three items at dinner. 

Breakfast
-Cold cereal with whole milk.  His favorites are plain cheerios, kix, cinnamon life, and cinnamon toast crunch.
-Hot oatmeal packet made with half water, half whole milk.  His favorite is maple brown sugar but he also likes apple cinnamon.
-Toast with butter.

Lunch
-Macaroni and Cheese
-Grilled Cheese
-Tyson "Fun Nuggets" in dinosaur shapes
-Hebrew National hotdog
-AND a fruit (see below)

Afternoon Snack after nap
-YoBaby yogurt (he still eats Yobaby as opposed to "regular" yogurt because it's made with whole milk and has low sugar in comparison)
-Mini Teddy Grahams (honey)
-Gerber Fruit Twist
-Fruit Snacks.  Welch's "Berries and Cherries" with Vitamin C are his favorite.
-Slice of cheese
-Fruit
-Baby Goldfish crackers
-Applesause ("naturals" with no added sugar)  He likes the blueberry and peach flavors the best.

Dinner
Typically we try to incorporate something we know he will eat into what we plan for dinner, such as pasta.  OR we'll make him a plate with one of his favorite foods and also put some of our dinner items on his plate even if we know he won't eat them.  For dinner, since we sit every night and eat as a family, I'm really trying to get away from him having a totally different meal than my husband and I.  For example, if it's taco night I know he won't eat any of the meat.  He will however eat a cheese quesadilla and so I can make his dinner look similar to ours.  These are his typical dinner foods (and things we may be eating as well).
-Pizza
-Hot Dog, Nuggets, or Grilled Cheese depending on what he ate for lunch.
-Spaghetti.  His hands-down favorite food.  Our boy LOVES tomato sauce.
-Other pasta we happen to be having.
-French Fries
-Rice
-Veggie (see below)

Fruits
Usually he eats a side of fruit with lunch.  He will also eat fruit with his afternoon snack or even breakfast depending on what he's eating.  I'm hoping that we can expand his variety once the spring and summer gets here and I can find some tasty berries, watermelon, and cantalope in season!
-Diced apples.  He likes granny smith and gala.
-Sliced banana
-Clementine orange wedges
-Sliced strawberries

Veggies
-Corn.. not even really a veggie but I'll count it ;)
-Peas (occasionally)
-Squash if it's pureed and I mix it into his macaroni and cheese
-Tomato (sauce on pasta)

To drink
Dominic is a grazer with both food and drink.  He tends to sip instead of gulp and usually one drink will last him a couple meals.  For example, I might give him a juice box/pouch at breakfast and he'll drink half of it.  I'll put it back in the fridge and give it to him to finish at lunch or snacktime.
-Water throughout the day.
-Juice at most meals.  I get him Capri-Sun 100% juices, he likes the berry flavor best.  I swear it seriously disturbs me how many "juices" there are marketed for little kids that aren't juice at all.  Why in the world does fruit need to be sweetened??  There are like 20 varieties of Capri-Sun drinks on the shelves at our local grocery store and if I'm lucky there will be two 100% juices to choose from.  Bleh.
-OR "Fruitables" by Apple & Eve.  It's bascially 1/3 fruit juice, 1/3 vegetable juice, and 1/3 water.  He likes the Pear Peach flavor.
-Whole Milk at breakfast if he is eating something that doesn't contain milk, at snack if he's eating teddy grahams, and always before bed.

He also eats one Flintstone Gummy per day.

Wow.  I look back on that list and think about how far we've come.  It was almost a year ago that we had to make a list of what he would eat and I swear I think we came up with 7 or 8 things total.  I'm so proud of my boy whenever he tries new things and I see him actually enjoying food, which is something I wasn't sure would ever happen.  Yay for us :)

1 comment:

  1. WOW...he has come a long way! Great Job!! I will have to post Aiden's meals one day this week...stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete

Instagram @jesscarbone