Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Stop what you're doing and read this.

This post by Single Dad Laughing has got to be one of the most moving posts I've ever read. 

http://www.danoah.com/2010/09/you-just-broke-your-child.html

As a parent I often think about how my actions will shape my child.  After reading this post I did a mental recap of our day.  I cringe at the fact that I told him to "get a grip" as he tried to squirm out of his stroller when it came to a stop while we were at the mall today.  I smile as I think about our watercolor paintings that are drying on our kitchen table as I type. 

Ladies, I hope this blog post touches you the way it touched me.  Please please share it with your husbands.  It's good to be shaken once in a while, to re-evaluate the way you parent your children.  Take the time to hug your babies.  Sing with them.  Paint with them.  Tell them that they're smart and funny and the best at whatever they are doing at that moment. 

Normally I look forward to bedtime, for quiet and rest in my house.  Right now I'm looking forward to tomorrow morning.  I'm looking forward to milky smiles and little boy bed head.  I think the world of my child and I'm going to work harder to make sure he never forgets it.

2 comments:

  1. gosh, i love that. i hardly have words. he is totally right - and some mothers should take a read. definitely makes you think twice about the things you say and how you react when fustrated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES. You are absolutely right. It's not just Dads that need to take a good hard look at their behavior. Mothers can be just as guilty of this, I think we've all seen it.

    ReplyDelete

Instagram @jesscarbone