Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Baby to Toddler Room Redo


I was seriously nervous people.  The thought of my precocious two year old going to sleep when not confined to a crib and then staying there all night seemed unlikely.  At well over two, he was more than happy to still be sleeping in his crib.  We were more than happy to keep him there.  Dominic didn't sleep through the night until he was about 15 months old, so I was really wary of disturbing our peaceful nights we waited so long for.  But, we wanted to use his nursery furniture for the new baby's room.  We also wanted to get him settled into his new sleeping situation well before the baby came so that he wouldn't feel like we were taking something from him to give to the baby.  So the room switch began.

I took a few pictures of his room the way it was for memory's sake.  I loved his nursery and was a little sad to change it..




Two Saturdays ago we assembled his new toddler bed and got it all set up for him.  Then we brought him in to show him his new sleeping arrangement.  Much to our surprise he was so excited!  He jumped right into bed.  We were still nervous to actually 'put him to bed'.  That first night seemed to take a bit longer.  We had to read his normal bedtime stories several times.  I tried to tuck him in extra tight so he would be less inclined to get out.  haha.  We said "night night" for the final time and turned him light off, walked out, and shut the door.  Then we hurried to our room to watch him on his video monitor.  Luckily we were able to mount his old monitor on the new bed.


He did great!!  Well, we watched him for a little while.  He did get out of bed and walk around his room.  We were sure he'd open his door and come into our room.  He's been able to open doors for a while now.  We even heard the door knob jiggle once when he was up... almost like he thought about opening it but decided not to.  Then it happened.  He climbed back into bed and fell asleep.  I swear!  We couldn't believe it either.  He slept all night.  I nearly passed out when we woke up the next morning to the sound of him knocking on his bedroom door.  Again, I have no idea why that first night he didn't open the door on his own.

We still worried that the first night was a fluke, a sort of beginner's luck.  Color me shocked.  It wasn't.  I don't know if it was good timing or what.  Perhaps waiting until he was a little older than the 'norm' worked out in our favor because it seems that he was really and truly ready.  I can't believe how simple it was.  He has slept all night, every night since then no problem.  He hasn't even given us trouble at nap time.  Occasionally he will get up after I put him down for a nap and I'll have to remind him that it's time to go to sleep.  Other than that I'm just marking this down in our "easy" category.  We've had some hard things to work on along the way so each time something works out easily for us it's that much more exciting.

3 comments:

  1. That was such a cute nursery I'm sure it was sad to change it but I'm glad he did so well. Dominic is so cute!

    I just came across your blog and it is super cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the perfect web site for anyone who wishes to find out about
    this topic. You understand so much its almost hard to
    argue with you (not that I really will need to…HaHa).
    You certainly put a fresh spin on a topic that's been discussed for decades.
    Great stuff, just excellent!

    Take a look at my blog post - 1997 ford explorer youtube

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at the kids room is looking perfect for kids, but when we think about update or redo the kids room the 1st thing which is come in our mind is that, replace the mattress of a kids bed with a new high quality soft and more comfortable mattress which give our kids a superb sleep. When the kids are take a perfect sleep they will be more happy with their parents in daily life routine.

    ReplyDelete

Instagram @jesscarbone