Thursday, November 17, 2011

Three Month Update

Little miss Isla is now three (and a half) months old! Wow. Time has flown so quickly. I feel like I just had her and already she is so big. Yesterday she was a tiny little newborn and today she takes up so much room in my lap.

Here are some updates on what is going on in the life of our second baby:

Growth- As of today she weighs 14 lbs 6 oz, up about 7 1/2 lbs from birth (she weighed 6 lbs 15 oz). This girl LOVES to eat, which really means nurse, as there is no actual 'eating' going on. Speaking of that...

Breastfeeding- I am so so so happy/proud to say that my sweet girl has grown on 100% breastmilk. Not a drop of formula and still going strong! I know this can be a little controversial and I definitely don't want to knock those mothers who choose to use formula, but it was a personal goal of mine to avoid it. I did breastfeed my first baby too, but because of being a first time mom and questioning everything I did supplement a little with him in the beginning. I was so worried I was starving him if he wanted to eat an hour after I nursed him! When I did end up going back to work when he was 4.5 months old I ended up putting him on formula. We had so many issues it was terrible. By the time we realized just how bad he was doing with it, my milk supply was totally gone. Hindsight is 20/20. I decided then that I would do everything I could to avoid giving another child formula. Of course I know this is NOT typical. Most children do perfectly fine with it. But I knew that breastmilk was probably the best choice for my family. So, when Isla came along I decided that supplementing would not be an option unless it was a dire emergency. There were some long loooong nights and tests of patience for sure, but here we are- on the other side. I say that because we are now in a "smooth sailing phase". My supply is well-established, she is growing well, and we have a good nursing relationship. My goal is to exclusively nurse her until 6 months and then start her on purees and other soft foods I prepare, along with continued nursing of course. I am committed to the full year, for reasons above. My ultimate goal is to have her go straight from the breast to whole milk in a cup. Fingers crossed that all goes according to plan!

Solids- none yet! In 2 1/2 months we will try :)

Sibling love- Oh my she loves her big brother! Dominic has really impressed us as of lately with his behavior towards Isla. He is so sweet and gentle to her. The cutest thing in the world is when she's sitting in her bouncy seat. He will come sit in front of her and lightly bounce her seat. She just laughs and smiles at him. So cute.

Clothes- She is now in almost all 6 month clothing. There are a few 3 month items that run a little big that I can still squeeze her into, but for the most part it's all 6 month stuff at this point.

Ears (hehe)- Yep! We did it. We got her ears pierced! We took her when she was 10 weeks old. I was so nervous but she did SO well. She only cried for a minute and it never seemed to bother her when I cleaned them. Now they are totally healed and so cute! She looks so much like her brother that we joke it's the only way we're going to know which one is which when we look back in pictures.

Mobile- Not yet! She has yet to roll, though she does scoot backwards a little. She does have incredibly strong head control and will even sit unassisted for a few seconds.

My pretty girl :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram @jesscarbone